2011 NBA Draft Scouting Report: PG Brandon Knight
June 14, 2011 in Uncategorized
PG Brandon Knight, Kentucky:
Measurables: 6'4" 180 lbs.
- Very quick, capable of beating most NBA guards to the hole
- Good size and length for a PG
- Smart basketball player, knows how to gain position, both offensively and defensively
- Very advanced defender, makes a lot of big plays on that side of the ball
- Highly competitive and just a real clutch player.
- Has good 3-point range
- Capable of taking the ball to the basket
- Not a pure PG, more of a combo guard who's solid at the PG position
- Might not fit into all systems
- Disappeared at times for the majority of the game
- Can be a bit streaky at times
- Shot selection needs more improvement, especially on 3-pointers
- Passing needs some work
Knight is battling Kemba Walker for the 2nd PG spot in this draft, but I personally believe he has it all wrapped up. I love his athletic ability and potential going forward. I also see him as more advanced than you typically see 19 year olds. He still needs to work on some areas of his game, but he should be the type of guard who can be a quality starter by year 2 or 3 (i.e. top 15 in the league). He's not the purest of passers, which could make him a bad fit for some teams, but I think the overall package is there, and there is an outside chance he even surpasses Kyrie Irving. While he gets a lot of John Wall comparisons, and they are somewhat valid, I see him as more of a Brandon Jennings or Russell Westbrook type of guard.