What I Like About Scot McCloughan Hiring
Shanny tried to use the draft unlike Gibbs, Cerrato, Zorn, Snyder but the Griffin trade crushed him. Whoever you think was behind that. But we know McCloughan will keep and probably look to add picks. He did in his past and he is very clear that it is his way to go. For those worried if he actually is in charge, will get their chance to see on draft day if Washington moves up to go for Winston or Marriota. I am not saying GM Scot wouldn’t take either but I can’t see him giving up picks to move up.
2. His stays in Seattle and San Francisco recently have given him relationships with two of the youngest most talented player pools in the NFL.
His focus will be the draft but guys he drafted before have and will continue to reach free agency at a good age. Not an age we have been used to the past 15 years.
3. Speaking of free agency and age he was clear, real clear that 30+ year old injury ridden free agents are not his style.
I hate to pick on Jason Hatcher but I don’t think he would be here if McCloughan was hired 12 months ago. Priority looks to be using money on young players on their roster currently and keeping them. Again, another easy one here to see if he had full final say once free agency starts.
4. It’s early but it sounds like he is open at quarterback.
Only saying he expects the QBs to be on the roster but no determination has been made. I think this is probably good for Gruden when it comes to him deciding who starts for him. He should have the call but the GM is going to give him easier options in the end and hopefully not causing the usual circus around quarterbacks on a 3 win team.
5. I heard the press conference on the radio and on the funny side, I was happy we have a football guy who sounds like a mix between Super Dave Osbourne and Andrew Luck.
Maybe the Luck karma is finally on us since we missed out the first time.
What I don’t like:
1. Nothing. He is Bill Walsh x Bill Polian x Ron Wolf x Carmen Policy. Just joking. But I think it’s the right hire.
2. His troubled past worries me some especially in this twitter age. How long before we hear he is drinking at the Ashburn Bonefish Grill? Which could get ugly because he kinda looks like Lerch from the Junkies who hangs out there.