2012 NFL Mock Draft: Round 2-With Trades
For More Draft Coverage: Draft Blog, NFL Draft Page, Senior Bowl Coverage
Mock Draft With Trades: Round 1, Round 2
33. St. Louis Rams- CB Alfonzo Dennard, Nebraska
34. Indianapolis Colts- WR Rueban Randle, LSU
35. Minnesota Vikings- CB Jayron Hosley, Virginia Tech
36. Washington Redskins (via Tampa bay)- QB Brandon Weeden, Oklahoma State
37. Philadelphia Eagles (via Cleveland)-OLB Zach Brown, UNC (Browns get 51, 3rd and 5th round picks)
38. St. Louis Rams (via Pittsburgh and Jacksonville)- DT Fletcher Cox, Miss. State (Steelers get 42nd and 4th and 7th round picks)
39. Atlanta Falcons (via Washington)- TE Dwayne Allen, Clemson (Redskins get 3rd round pick, plus 2013 1st round pick)
40. Carolina Panthers- DT Brandon Thompson, Clemson
41. Buffalo Bills- CB Stephon Gilmore, South Carolina
42. Pittsburgh Steelers (via St. Louis and Miami Dolphins)- DT Alameda, Ta’amu, Washington
43. Seattle Seahawks- RB David Wilson, Virginia Tech
44. Kansas City Chiefs-OLB Andre Branch, Clemson
45. Dallas Cowboys- SS George Illoka, Boise State
46. Philadelphia Eagles- WR Nick Toon, Wisconsin
47. New York Jets- QB Kirk Cousins, Michigan State
48. New England Patriots (via Oakland)- CB Chase Minnifield, UVA
49. San Diego Chargers- ILB Bobby Wagner, Utah State
50. Washington Redskins (via Chicago)-OT Zebrie Sanders, FSU
51. Cleveland Browns (via Philadelphia and Arizona)- OLB LaVonte David, Nebraska
52. Tennessee Titans- DE Cam Johnson, UVA
53. Cincinnati Bengals- G Brandon Washington, Miami
54. Washington Redskins (via Detroit): CB Leonard Johnson, Iowa State (Lions receive 74 and 85th picks in the 3rd round)
55. Atlanta Falcons- OT Andrew Datko, FSU
56. Pittsburgh Steelers- OT/OG Kelechi Osemele, Iowa State
57. Denver Broncos- TE Coby Fleener, Stanford
58. Houston Texans-DE Jared Crick, Nebraska
59. New Orleans Saints- DE Chandler Jones, Syracuse
60. Philadelphia Eagles (via Green Bay)- C Ben Jones, Georia
61. Baltimore Ravens- CB Trumaine Johnson, Montana
62. St. Louis Rams (via San Francisco)- LB Sean Spence, Miami (49ers get 3rd and 5th round picks)
63. Washington Redskins (via New England) Patriots- SS Harrison Smith, Notre Dame
64. New York Giants- TE Orson Charles, Georgia
Reasons for the trades:
A. Philly-Cleveland: The Eagles land perhaps the best pure 4-3 OLB in this class, get to keep their other top 50 pick, and trade from their draft pick depth. The Browns pick up an extra 3rd as well as a late pick as they look to continue their rebuild.
B. Rams-Steelers: The Rams get to use their draft pick depth to move up a couple spots and land a 1st round talent at DT. The Steelers again get to add more picks and depth to their team.
C. Falcons-Redskins: Tony Gonzalez is again saying next year is his final season, and at this point I would start to believe him. The Falcons I think will take an ‘all-in’ approach and look to move up to grab the top TE. Allen would be a perfect 4th weapon next year for Atlanta, and could seamlessly replace Gonzalez in 2013. The Falcons give up a 1st next year, but by keeping their own 2nd, they can add two impact players to a pretty strong team. The Redskins get to push some of their draft windfall to next season, while not actually having a loss in the number of picks they have.
D. Redskins-Lions: The Redskins now get to use their excess picks to trade back up into the 2nd round and grab a top flight CB. From the Lions perspective they get to turn their late 2nd rounder into a pair of 3rd round picks. Detroit could use some extra picks as they are another team facing serious salary cap issues.
E.Rams-49ers: The Rams get to move up a few spots to ensure they land another key defensive starter. Given all their extra picks, St. Louis still comes out ahead. The 49ers get to pick up some extra selections for only moving back a few spots.