NFL Picks Week 1
It feels like an eternity since we watched the Rams beat the Bengals at SoFi Stadium for Super Bowl 56, but the wait for the next NFL season is almost over. On September 8, we begin the long road to Super Bowl LVII, and here are our best NFL picks to help you make some profitable predictions in week 1.
Rams VS Bills: Bills to Cover the Spread
It has been a long time since the Bills played in a Super Bowl. The Buffalo franchise made it to four consecutive Super Bowls in the early ‘90s but has been resigned to the status of “also-rans” since then. That could change in the 2022/23 season, though, as the Bills are the bookies’ favorites to win the NFL championship.
It’s a tough start for the team from New York as they head to Inglewood to face the reigning Super Bowl Champions. We’re expecting big things, though, and think the Bills will comfortably cover the spread.
CB Tre-Davious White may not be fit for Buffalo, but the Bills’ D is arguably still the best in the league and should have more than enough to stop Stafford and co. We expect the Josh Allen and Stefon Diggs partnership to score big for the Bills and get the W on the road.
Tip: Buffalo -2.5
Falcons VS Saints: High Scoring Affair in Atlanta
Expect Jameis Winston to start for the New Orleans Saints as they head to the Mercedes-Benz Stadium in Atlanta. Ingram and Kamara will help to keep those scores high while Jarvis Landry will feature at WR until Michael Thomas makes a return.
As for the home team, they’ll start Marcus Mariota under center and will look to WRs like London (if fit), Zaccheaus, and Bryan Edwards to stay in touch. With so much firepower available, we expect this to be a high-scoring game. Offenses are strong, the Atlanta secondary is questionable, and that scoreboard should keep ticking.
If we had to choose a winner in this one, it would go to the road team. They should have more than enough to see off the Falcons and open their season with a W. However, the best bet here is the Over Total Score. The spread is just 41.5, and we expect to see closer to 50 points.
Tip: Over 41.5
Bengals VS Steelers: The Steelers to Hold
The Cincinnati Bengals missed out on last season’s Super Bowl by just 3 points after winning the AFC North and AFC Championship. But the Steelers have been dominant in this matchup over the years. Pittsburgh is always a good bet to cover the spread against the Bengals and that’s what we’re tipping for this opening contest.
The Steelers will have to make do without legendary quarterback Ben Roethlisberger under center, but they have a good replacement in Mitchell Trubisky and will also look to a very strong run game.
Tip: Steelers +6.5
Cowboys vs Buccaneers: Buccs to Beat the Spread
This season’s opening Monday Night Football game will feature the Buccaneers and the Cowboys. Tampa will look to the G.O.A.T Tom Brady while Dallas will be led by Dak Prescott. It’s a tough matchup and there will be very little to separate them at the end of play.
Tampa is the better team on paper and we think they will have enough to get the W. Back the Buccs to cover the spread at -1.5. There will be some nail-biting moments and it might be won by a single field goal or a late touchdown, but Brady and co should get over the line eventually.
Tip: Tampa Bay Buccaneers -1.5
Other NFL Tips for Week 1
The above tips are some of our favorites lines for week 1 of the NFL season, but we have some thoughts on the other games, as well:
- Lions VS Eagles: With Goff under center and Swift at running back, the Lions are more than capable of covering the spread.
- Bears VS 49ers: A low-scoring game is surely on the cards, so back the Under.
- Dolphins VS Patriots: These are two strong defensive teams and that should make this a close-scoring game. Back the Under.
- Panthers VS Browns: Put your money on the Panthers to cover the spread, as they should have the best of it in this one.
- Texans VS Colts: Back the Colts for a comfortable win as they start the 2022/23 season on a high.
- Chargers VS Raiders: The Chargers need a good season and they should get off to a good start by covering the spread against the Raiders.
- Jets VS Ravens: The Jets have bolstered their squad with some talented offensive players and should be strong enough to make this a close-run game. They might not be good enough to get the win, but will beat the spread at +6.5.
- Commanders VS Jaguars: The Commanders’ defense should be able to contain the Jaguars’ offense and beat the spread.
- Titans VS Giants: The team from Tennessee enters this fixture as the favorite and it’s easy to see why. The Titans will get the win and should cover the spread.
- Vikings VS Packers: We’re expecting a lot of points, so put your money on the Over.
- Cardinals VS Chiefs: It should be a big start to the season from the Chiefs, so back them for a comfortable win.
- Seahawks VS Broncos: Russel Wilson will face off against his old team in the first week of the season, and we expect fireworks. We’re anticipating a big win for Denver but the best bet here is to back the Over.
Summary: Week 1 NFL Tips
As you prepare your futures bets for the upcoming season, don’t forget about those big week 1 matchups. There’s a lot of uncertainty around these early games, as preseason doesn’t paint a complete picture with regard to the readiness of these teams.
There will be some surprises on the cards and some big wins to collect. If you do your research, check the tips above, and place some well-considered bets, you could find yourself with some big payouts by Sunday afternoon.