2016 NFL Draft: RB Ezekiel Elliott Scouting Report
RB Ezekiel Elliott- Ohio State:
- Excellent size/speed combo
- Three down back, capable of being a workhorse in any offense.
- Has elite talent and should quickly become one of the top backs in the league
- Highly productive college runner who had big games even versus quality defenses.
- Good vision and cut back ability making it hard to get a good hit on him in the backfield
- Bounces off contact and keeps his feet moving.
- Tough runner capable of picking up short yardage situations between the tackles.
- Shows good pass catching traits and could really be a weapon in this area at the next level.
- Really good second gear, can break off long runs if he gets to the open field.
- Will at times try to run over defensive backs as opposed to trying to make them miss, which won’t always be the best strategy at the next level.
- Not much of a blocker, will have to develop in this area.
- Will go from an elite supporting cast to likeQB Jared Goff- California
Elliott is an elite running back prospect and despite there being a bit of a concern with drafting running backs high he should to in the top 15, and perhaps even in the top 5 of the draft. Elliott dominated the competition at the college level the past two seasons, with many of his top games coming against quality competition. In 2014 over a three game stretch Elliott ran for 896 yards and 8 TDs against Wisconsin, Alabama and Oregon to secure the Buckeyes National Championship.
Elliott is a complete back who can beat you inside or outside and can just as easily pick up a tough first down as he can break a long run. Though he hasn’t had to be used much as a receiver, he’s shown some natural hands and route running ability. Combined with his speed and agility he could be a nice threat out of the backfield at the next level.
There really aren’t any pressing negatives surrounding Elliott, which makes him one of the more interesting backs to come out of the draft in recent years. Barring any serious injuries, there is little reason to believe that he won’t quickly become one of the top backs in the league.