2016 NFL Draft: CB Vernon Hargreaves III Scouting Report
CB Vernon Hargreaves III – Florida:
- Really good all-around athlete with good speed and explosion.
- Has excellent ball skills, and shows a consistent ability to either win contested balls or knock it away.
- Has natural feet and he doesn’t waste any steps in coverage or in coming up for run support.
- Not afraid to come up and make the tackle, he will fight off blocks both in the run and screen game.
- Versatile corner capable of covering in man, zone or even press.
- Can play both inside and outside corner roles.
- Natural in his backpedal and flipping his hips to turn and run with the receiver.
- Really good change of direction and when breaking on the ball.
- Not very tall and he doesn’t have long arms, he could have some problems with bigger more physical receivers.
- Doesn’t have elite downfield speed, he will have some problems with burners if he isn’t careful.
- Allowed more big plays than you’d like this past year.
Hargreaves is one of the top defensive back prospects in this class and at times he looks like he can be a top level corner. He displays excellent instincts, ball skills and technique, combined with really good athleticism and production in college (in a very tough conference).
The real concern with him is lack of size. It’s becoming increasingly tough for sub 6’ corners to succeed on the outside in the NFL. It’s not impossible for Hargreaves to continue being a top corner on the outside, but he also has knocks with his short arms and lack of elite speed.
Hargreaves should still go in the top 25 picks, but he’s likely going to have to find the right fit as not every team might be interested in him. His natural talent and refined technique should be more than enough to overcome any size or speed limitations.
If you think Hargreaves will be a top corner for your favorite team and feeling lucky, you can use best online casino welcome bonus to try your luck.