2012 NFL DRAFT SCOUTING REPORT
DE Quinton Coples:
DE Quinton Coples
Weight: 285 lbs.
- Great first step, gets off the ball quickly at the snap
- Good athlete, versatile enough to drop back into coverage
- Very good speed, both off the edge rushing and pursuit
- Uses a variety of pass rush techniques
- Smart player, takes good angles and finds ways to disrupt the pass even without getting to the QB.
- Plays with good leverage
- Good counter moves, can separate from linemen even when they get their hands on him
- Nice balance of strength and speed
- Had a really strong Senior Bowl, gave some of the best offensive linemen all they could handle
- A bit of a stretch to drop into coverage too often.
- While he played strong in college, does he have that anchor against NFL caliber linemen
- Not ideal production as a Senior
- Some questions about his motor
- Can overrun plays at times, needs to be more instinctive
- Needs better recognition, especially in defending the run.
I like Coples primarily in the 4-3, but do believe he can stand up if asked. While the questions about his motor are a concern, it was a rough year at UNC with the coaching change, so some slack should be given. Coples comes off as very personable and professional in interviews so that should allay some fears. While Coples can excel at both run and pass defense, his pass rush potential is what makes him so highly rated. Coples should be an immediate starter and a 10+ sack a year type of guy. He should be a top 15 pick, and one of the first defensive ends off the board.