WR Sammy Watkins, Jr, Clemson
Measurables: 6’1” 205 lbs
- Very smooth in and out of his breaks, doesn’t lose a lot of speed as he cuts
- Good frame, plays with a lot of balance and power for his size
- Has great top end speed and quickly accelerates to reach it
- Is incredibly dangerous with the ball in his hands and picks up a lot of his yardage after the catch.
- Good route runner who can create separation
- Great hands, if he has a shot at a ball he typically brings it in
- Really wide catch radius, and can elevate to go get a football
- Can help in the return game or with a variety of runs
- Can get sloppy with his route running at times
- Had a down sophomore year after an impressive freshman season
- Can struggle to get off the jam at times
- Has had some off the field issues and was suspended for two games in 2012
Watkins has big time playmaking ability, not just as a receiver but anytime the ball is in his hands. The Tigers have used Watkins in a variety of ways to do just that. Watkins has incredible open field potential and can be a deadly weapon in the screen game. From a speed, fluidity, elusiveness factor, Watkins is at the top of what you are looking for in a wide receiver. He’s also got good hands and great vision after the catch.
Despite his promise, Watkins does come with some concerns. He had some off the field issues in 2012 which cost him two games. Also Watkins can round off routes at times allowing defenders to catch up to him from the separation he created. He needs to do a better job getting off press coverage quickly as it will be one thing that gets more intense at the next level.
Overall Watkins looks like a lock to come out and be the first receiver taken in the draft, likely within the first 10 picks.