DE Joey Bosa- Ohio State:
- Prototypical size with the frame to add weight if needed
- Highly productive pass rusher in college
- Wins with a variety of moves and counter moves
- Good technical rusher who will exploit mistakes by offensive linemen to his advantage.
- Really good first step, that helps gets offensive linemen on their heels early in the rush.
- Has a strong bull rush, that he combines with his other moves to generate a lot of penetration.
- Solid quick burst/acceleration that allows him to finish plays.
- Good in pursuit versus the run
- Is a high upside/high floor player
- Versatile to fit in any defense, though probably a more natural 4-3 end
- Doesn’t have great speed to threaten the edge with consistency
- Can struggle versus the run, when the team runs right at him as he doesn’t always set the edge as he should.
- Will allow some broken tackles to quality backs.
Bosa is one of the top players in this draft class, and definitely the best edge rusher in the class. He wasn’t as good as a junior as he was his sophomore year, but he was still pretty effective. He is a high ceiling/high floor player, who at the very least should become a solid player at the next level with the potential to be a star.
Bosa isn’t as athletically gifted as some top edge rushers, but he wins with really good technique and counter moves. Even with an increase in level of competition he’s facing, Bosa’s strengths should translate into good production at the NFL level.
Despite lacking elite athleticism there Bosa has shown himself to be a very good player and with being considered a generally safe player he should go in the top 5 of the draft.